Who doesn’t love a home project that you can do yourself? DIY has become so much easier these days with the help of the internet. The appeal of saving money and the satisfaction of completing something on your own, make it a popular choice to many. However, when it comes to certain home tasks, DIY is not a good idea. If you think that you can remove mold from your home on your own, you may want to think again. Attempting to remove mold on your own is a bad idea, let’s discuss why.
Possibility of Spreading the Mold
If you have mold in your home, it needs to be properly contained so that it does not spread to other areas. Containment of mold should be done by a professional. Different methods of cleaning mold on your own can actually spread it further into the air. Using a shop vac, vacuuming and scrubbing mold can all cause mold spores to filtrate through the air. What happens is that you think you are getting rid of your problem and in actuality you are making it worse.
Bleach Can Be Risky
One way people attempt to remove mold is with bleach. The truth is that bleach does not actually kill mold. While it will make the surface clean where the mold lies, it does not kill the roots where the mold grows. If the area gets moisture again the mold will come back. Bleach fumes can also be harmful to your health, your children’s health and/or any pets you may have.
Dangerous to Your Health
There are safety precautions that need to be taken when you clean mold. That is why professionals wear protective clothing and use special equipment. Mold spores can be toxic and dangerous for your health. Many people are allergic to mold. You do not want to expose yourself to this during cleaning.
The bottom line is, although some home projects are simple to do yourself, mold removal is not one of them. If you need help with mold removal, leave it to a professional. Here at First Mate Restoration, we offer the best in mold clean up. Our trained technicians use the latest mold remediation and drying techniques to deliver quality results. Call us today at (305) 537 8783.